21 March 2015

Forgive me if I was rude or thoughtless

Here's a short note from Robert Taylor to Ginger Rogers who dated each other somewhere in the 1930s. Their dating was probably instigated by MGM (Taylor's studio) who wanted Taylor to be seen as a man-about-town, and Ginger Rogers was just one of the several women he went out with (according to Victoria Wilson, A Life of Barbara Stanwyck, 2013). Taylor's note to Rogers is a note of apology. I'm not sure when and why it was written, but apparently Rogers had missed out on a great party and Taylor was the cause of her missing it (perhaps he had promised to take her and later changed his mind?) At any rate, Taylor's handwritten note can be seen below.

Transcript:

Dear Ginger-

From all reports the party Saturday night was a wonderful one. I can't tell you how sorry I am for being even partially the cause of your missing it.
You do understand, I know, the reasons responsible for my sudden reversal -- and I hope you will forgive me if I was rude or thoughtless.

Fondly, 
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment