17 January 2015

There is one thing I am a bit worried about...

When Elizabeth Taylor was thirteen years old, she maintained a correspondence with a fan named Jean Grey. I have already posted a letter from Liz to Jean (here) in which she advised Jean to write a story in order to deal with the death of her pet bird. Here are two more letters from Liz: the first one is really sweet and concerns a friendship ring; the second one tells us that Jean had followed Liz's advice and taken up writing. Incidentally, Nibbles and Me (mentioned by Liz in her letters) was a book written and illustrated by Liz about her real life adventures with her pet chipmunk Nibbles. The publisher paid her $1,000 for the story which was originally a school assignment.

Elizabeth Taylor sorting her fan mail
Image: heritage auctions/ reproduced with permission.

Transcript:

February 20th, 1946

Dear Jean,

I must thank you for your two letters, and your cute birthday card and the valentine, which was one of the most beautiful I had, I hope you had lots of valentines too.

There is one thing I am a bit worried about and that is that dear little friendship ring, you see your daddy sent it especially to you from the Pacific, and I'm not sure he would be very happy about you giving it away to anyone, I didn't like to send it right back as it might look as though I didn't want it, but I really think you should take it back, let me know what you think about it, and anyhow I do appreciate the nice thought very much.

So glad you had such a nice birthday. "Nibbles and Me" will be published in April I hope.

All best wishes.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Taylor (signed)

Image: heritage auctions/ reproduced with permission.

Transcript:

March 26th, 1946

Dear Jean,

Yes of course I'll keep the ring, now I know you are sure your father wouldn't mind.

I think your little story about the colt was beautifully written, and I think you should go on writing, there may be a future for you in it, and if not it will always be a tremendous interest, thank you so much for sending me the story. 

My book "Nibbles and Me" is coming out in May, if you read it tell me what you think about it. 

All best wishes.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Taylor (signed)

I liked the little snap you sent me.    

1 comment: