21 December 2013

Miss Monroe, thanks for the roses!


Browsing the internet for letters, it's great to find correspondence that is unexpected or surprising. I think the following letter, dated 22 June 1960, falls into that category. It was written by Gary Cooper addressed to Marilyn Monroe. I had no idea these two actors knew each other. Admittedly, judging by the letter they didn't know each other well, but well enough for Marilyn to send Gary Cooper roses when he was in the hospital. In April 1960, Cooper was hospitalised to undergo surgery for prostate cancer. Sadly, the cancer had already spread to his colon and would spread only further. A year later, on 13 May 1961, Cooper would die at the age of sixty.






Transcript:

9441 Wilshire Boulevard
Beverly Hills, California

June 22, 1960

Dear Miss Monroe:

It was your good thoughts, good deed and good wishes that helped me get out of the hospital in record time.

I heard your party was a smasher. I am sorry I couldn't be there because it was my first day out of the hospital. 

The roses were beautiful and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the trouble you went to. I just want to thank you with all my heart.

Sincerely, Gary (signed)

No comments:

Post a Comment